Friday, September 3, 2010

What is the plan this time?

Here we go again!  It seems like just yesterday that I was packing for a race.  Well it wasn’t yesterday, but it was just a week ago!  These races are so close together that I’ve only been able to do one easy run since my race, with another VERY short run the day before the race.  With a recovery week this week, taper week last week, and my mini-mental-meltdown the week before, it’s been 2.5 weeks since I did any hard training.  Actually that isn’t quite true, I did have a race last weekend which should count as something!  I really want to write about my mindset and plan for this race, not my lack of training.

I am amazed to hear myself thing this, let alone write it down, yet it is a phrase I’ve repeated many, many times:  it’s only a three hour race!  The first time I told myself that was months ago before my first Olympic race of the season.  Thinking that kept me calm and relaxed going into the race.  I used it again last weekend because it was my first non wetsuit legal race, and it worked.  I haven’t told myself that much this week, because after all it is only a three hour race!

I raced last weekend, and set a new PR on a fairly flat and fast course.  Austin isn’t as flat and should be a bit hotter, especially considering I start later in the day.  Combined with the fact that I raced last weekend, I don’t expect to reproduce or exceed my record setting pace from last weekend.

If I’m not expecting to set a new PR, what do I expect and what is my plan?  I expect a faster swim split than last weekend because it will be wetsuit legal.  I plan to swim harder the return leg.  I’ve never swum hard enough to impact my breathing, but that is the plan.  I’m not going to change anything on the bike leg.  I’ll push a little bit; not enough to hurt but hopefully average close to 20 mph.  I expect a better run split than last week.  I’ve got a better nutrition plan (anything is better than none), and want to run the second half faster than the first.  I may also go out a bit faster than last week.

The key to this week will be to stay hydrated, keep my body temperature down, and stay mentally tough.  If everything goes according to plan I could end up with a new PR, but it isn’t my plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment