Sunday, May 29, 2011

Finally, a night before the race post!

Not only did I remember to update my blog today, but I have time, and most importantly a little something to say!

For me, the day/night before a race is all about keeping things positive and distracting myself so I don't get all worked up. Well things just aren't working out this time!

It started with a simple request at the front desk: point me to a place where I could get some spaghetti that is within walking distance. I knew there was a Spaghetti Warehouse a few blocks away, but it was further than I wanted to walk. There was also a place across the street that had lasagna, but my normal plan is for spaghetti.

I take off for this place that ends up being a 20+ minute walk, mostly uphill. I should have taken the hint when I walked in and they asked if they could help me. I'd like to eat some spaghetti I replied, not sure exactly what he thought I was there for. Then, instead of walking me to my table, he pointed the way!

I got to my seat, and was handed the menu when problem #2 was discovered: there wasn't any spaghetti on the menu. Oh yeah, and it cost twice as much as the warehouse. Oh well, I wasn't going to leave now so we figured something out.

Dinner done, I walked home, only to be almost hit by a bus in the hotel parking lot. Really? Don't they know this is Austin and the pedestrian rules?

Finally I make it to the lobby, along with 3 bus loads of high school band kids with their instruments! I swear I heard them tell one boy he was in the room next to me, but seeing as how they haven't shown up yet I'm hopeful I was wrong. I'm back in my room now, with my feet up, trying to down another bottle of water or two and find something interesting on TV.

The magic question is how do I honestly feel about tomorrow? I told coach earlier today I feel stale as I haven't had a real hard workout in 3 weeks. Coach told me I should be fresh, which is true. My body does feel rested, maybe it's my mind that is stale. Other than New Orleans I haven't had to dig into the mental well for a while. I guess I'll find out tomorrow as conditions are ripe for a tough mental day.

My only complaint is that my hamstrings are still bothering me a bit. They seem to do ok once I get warmed up, so I'm hoping the bike will do the job. On the other hand, they started bothering me more the further I ran. It's a good thing this is only a 10K!

Once again I'm going to try to push harder on the bike. I was told not to watch the power, so I'm going to ride hard enough to keep the burn going whereas I usually back off to just below the burn point. I'm also supposed to start the run a bit faster - then again it could be hot so I'm not supposed to go out too fast. Looks like it will be a race day decision!

Coach said she was going to be out there volunteering, so I've got to make sure I look good when I pass the aid stations and finish strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment