Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thoughts before camp

Sorry, but I’m a bit behind in my blog due to work and travel constraints.  I’ve got a few things I’d like to say before I kick off Rockies Peak – the training camp in Colorado Springs.

I have been in Colorado for a few days to try and get used to the altitude a bit before camp.  I haven’t been able to get in all the training that I was supposed to, but what I did do was pretty good.  Both my runs and bike rides have been on roads that are much  hillier than anything I’ve done before.  I was certainly struggling for air a number of times, but at least my legs didn’t complain too much.  I’m not going to be here long enough to fully acclimatize, so I may never know if my wind problems were from the altitude or from the extra stress from the hills.

I wish I lived here!  Riding a bike on the roads is common in most areas, and while some drivers may not like it, it does seem safer than riding in Houston.

It takes a LOT of stuff to come here for 10 days when some of the time is for training, camping in the mountains, and everyday clothes!

Despite assurances from coach that this isn’t supposed to be a smash-fest, I’m a little concerned that the other coaches aren’t on the same page.  That said, I’m really looking forward to working with some other coaches, and having time to question them all about a variety of topics.  I jotted down my questions before leaving; I have a page and a half!

I wonder what the age and quality spread is going to be at camp?  Well, I leave to check in to camp in about 5 minutes, so I won’t have long to wait.  Tonight is check in, an optional swim, and them introductory dinner.  Tomorrow we start things off with an early morning swim, a bike ride, and then a running clinic.

Despite being nervous, I’m pretty psyched about the swimming, as I will finally be able to get some help with my swim!

Wish me luck!  I’ll try to post some updates at least every other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment