Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Easy does it!

A week ago I was flying high.  I’d put in my best run ever, especially for a 13.1 distance.  I can’t remember my PR for the 10K as it was a while back, but I suspect that I ran faster last week then I did at the shorter distance.

Then I got a much needed week of recovery training.  I was pretty surprised at how sore my legs were.  It wasn’t until I got on my bike and spun them out that they started feeling normal again.  I also took the opportunity to eat some cheat food.  I felt guilty, thinking I would have gained a bunch of weight.  However, at last check I was right where I want to be.

I’ve got just three weeks until Galveston, where I really find out where I’m at.  Checking my schedule, I’ve got solid workouts planned for the next 10 days or so, and then we start to taper.  I really need the weather to cooperate and let me get outside on my bike.

So why am I telling myself “easy does it”?  With all the success I’ve had in training this year, and then the solid race last week, it is easy to get carried away.  I’ve got to be careful to not put too much pressure on myself, as historically that hasn’t served me well.  Each training session I’m going to focus on what I need to accomplish that session, and just that.  I don’t want to get too excited about the upcoming race.

One day at a time, one workout at a time.  If I do that the race will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment