Monday, June 17, 2013

What’s next?

A quick update before I dive into “what’s next”:

It’s been just about 3 months since my surgery.  The doctor said it would be 6 weeks before I was good, and three months before I was real good.  I wrote that down so I would remember it correctly.  So am I “real good”?

I am able to run and bike without any pain.  I have some discomfort on my long swims or kick sets, but nothing that would make me stop.  My ankle is stronger today than pre-injury, but I still come up a bit short when it comes to flexibility.  I could work on that, but I think forcing the flexibility could cause more problems that it solves.

Am I real good?  I’m not sure, but I am sure that I’m good enough!

In two weeks I’m going to do my first triathlon in over a year, a sprint.  I didn’t say “just a sprint” because to me it is much more than that.  Not only is it the next leg in my journey back, but it is also the first race I had to cancel due to my injury.  Needless to say I suspect it will be an emotional race.

This race is special:  I’m a sweeper, meaning I (and a group of other runners) will be doing the run leg carrying the US and service flags.  I’m going to be carrying the Navy flag in honor of my friend Chris “Doc” Goehner.  It’s going to be an awesome finish, one I hope the crowd appreciates as much as I appreciate the honor of carrying the flag!

The question I have, and a race day decision I suspect, is whether I will do the entire race on my own, and then run it again, carrying the flag with the rest of the guys.  I change my mind daily on what to do, and probably will again half a dozen times before I commit one way or the other.  Whatever I decide to do I’d bet that I cross the line smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment