Friday, December 11, 2009

My first two-a-day

First, let me give a shout out to my coach Kelly Williamson. She took me in several months back when my first triathlon was but a wish, and is slowly but surely getting me ready for my first 1/2 Ironman in April. Kelly and her husband are coaches at http://www.duratatraining.com/. I don't know much about Derrick, but Kelly has been just what I needed. There is no doubt that come April I will be readier and healthier than I could ever hope to be on my own.

That said, this week Kelly gave me my first two-a-day. I'd actually done some earlier this year on my own, either a brick or a run/swim or bike/swim. This was a run/bike on Tuesday, followed by a run on Wednesday. Still a bit sore from my race on Saturday I was a bit anxious, but determined to complete the full workout this week. I'm not done with the week, with three hard days left, but I'm confident I can get through the next three days without a problem.

But I digress - back to the two-a-day. The first event, a run, was easy and not that big of a deal. I ran easily, just to wake my legs up from the race. Hours later, the bike wasn't that easy. My legs were now tired and sore, and this workout included some interval work. I was definately tired after that workout, and didn't sleep all that well. Perhaps a subject for a different post, but I don't sleep all that well after a really hard workout.

Then came Wednesday. I had to run early so I could take off to pick up my bike (see the picture to the right). Six total miles, with the middle four at a quicker pace. I knew I was in trouble from the start. My legs were immediately tired, and mentally I didn't feel that strong. The cold wind didn't help that much either! Regardless, I finished the run, well within the parameters Kelly set for me. With the next run set for tomorrow, I'll have had 3 days of rest from running to recover. Good thing, tomorrow is my longest run to date.

There are no times or expectations on tomorrow's run. I get to just get out there and run to how I feel. The best part of that is that if I'm feeling strong I can run faster and get finished faster! Not too fast though as Sunday is my first road outing on the new TT bike. I want to be strong so I don't get passed by some kid on a tricycle!

Have a nice weekend guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment