Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Back on the road

Today was my last session at Airrosti. I know I’ve talked about them a lot over the past couple of weeks, but really guys, what they have done is incredible. I remember just two weeks ago, sitting in the emergency room talking with the doctor. He told me how lucky I was that my ankle wasn’t broken, it certainly looked that way. I asked him about racing in two weeks and he shook his head no. I asked him about racing in 6 weeks, and he replied that it was unlikely. From personal experience, he thought it would be 6 months before I felt normal again. He left the room, and I remember thinking that my season was over, and how I probably would have broken down in tears if my wife weren’t there. It just wasn’t fair.

Here I am, 2+ weeks later and I’m running again. I’m not back up to pre-injury distance or pace, but it is probably faster and further than many my age, and the pain is manageable. The credit for this remarkable recovery goes in two directions. I have to first give credit to myself. I sat and cried through four fairly painful Airrosti sessions. I’m the one who iced my ankle for hours when it was freezing cold and all I wanted was to jump in the hot tub. That said; I couldn’t have done it without Airrosti and Drs Schmedding and Arnold. I am stunned at what they were able to do, and hope I never have to visit them again.

I’ve got to go now and thank Betsy for turning me on to Airrosti.

1 comment:

  1. I am also stuned at your recovery. I remember twisting an ankle years ago and being in a cast for a long time, thus missing a marathon that I had trained very hard for. I don't know if I have the guts to face the pain of your treatment, so more power to you. Will keep watching your progress. Your #1 anonymous fan.

    ReplyDelete