Sunday, February 14, 2010

Every day in every way I get better and better...

I’ve decided to quit whining and focus on the good and humorous aspect of my training. That is easy for me to say today, things are once again looking positive. Let’s see if I am able to hold up my end of the bargain when things get difficult again.

I’ve endured three treatments with Airrosti. If giving birth is more painful than this, thank you Mom for having me after going through it twice with my older sisters! I’m really hoping that Wednesday is my last session. The doctor did give me permission to start running after my last session.

My first run was about 5 minutes long, just a jog up and down the block. I was afraid to go very far in case something went wrong. I didn’t want to have to call my wife for rescue again, and sitting on a corner crying didn’t sound very appealing either. The next day I ran for 10 minutes. I was very disappointed as I struggled (and failed) to hold on to an 11 minute/mile pace. I know the pace because I ran on a treadmill. Usually I can do a pretty quick pace on the treadmill because all I have to do is keep my legs moving and not fall. I told myself recovery was going to take time, and came home to stretch and ice my ankle. Yesterday I upped the distance to 1.5 miles, and finished in the 13-14 minute range.

Today was much better. I got back on the trail for a 3 mile run and finished in 25:25 or about 8.5 minute/mile pace. I was pretty winded when I got through, but I managed solid negative splits throughout. Coach was right, I wouldn’t lose that much in 2 weeks, and what I lost I can get back quickly. I’ve still got a ways to go to get as quick as I was 2 weeks ago (not all that quick really, but quicker than I am now), or to be able to run a ½ marathon, but I believe I can do it.

Since no one is reading this blog, I can say that I’m toying with the idea of running in a ½ marathon in Houston next Sunday. There is registration available on Saturday, so I don’t need to make a decision until then. It all depends on how this week goes, how the ankle is feeling, and how the next torture session winds up.

Thanks again Airrosti and Dr Schmedding! You may have just saved my season!!

No comments:

Post a Comment