Monday, March 8, 2010

Two becomes three...

I just finished a week of good hard training and a much needed day off. It was my second in a row. I can tell it was a hard week not by looking at my training schedule, but by how deeply I look forward to my one day off. I remember several times during my journey where I felt the same way; thinking how tired I was, how leaden my legs felt, how I wanted to sleep in, and how I really wanted to take an extra day off.

As I sit here today writing this, I realize it has been too long since I’ve felt like this. Two unfortunate injuries nearly back to back messed up my training. This is the first time since before Christmas that I feel like I can go after all three events pretty hard. Those weeks since weren’t wasted, they just weren’t as productive as I would have liked. I wish I was doing 15 mile runs every weekend, and long rides of 60 to 70 miles. The truth is it doesn’t matter. I’ve finally grown up enough that I can accept my lot in life. My races are when they are, my training is where it is, and the two will very soon meet. It is time to focus on the positive!

Ah yes, the positive! Saturday I got to go for a spin with my Dad, something we used to do regularly 20 years ago, but not so much since. I’ve also had two really solid weeks of training in a row. This past week I rode further in a single session than I have in years, and it was faster than the week before. I compared my run from Sunday to 5 weeks ago, and I had run the same distance in less time. As crazy as it sounds, I somehow feel like I am about to peak at just the right time. My only question is; am I peaking for the right distance?

When does two become three: This week, when I finish my third consecutive hard week of training.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to say that most likely you had to throw a rope that old man so he could stay within sight of you. Good for you to give up one of your training sessions to accompany that old guy. You are a nice fellow.
    Your #1 anonymous fan

    ReplyDelete