Monday, March 22, 2010

Lucky Trails, at last

Last year I signed up for 4 trail runs: a 10K, a 10 mile, a half-marathon, and a 3.5 obstacle course run. This past Saturday I finished the third of the four runs, the Seabrook Lucky Trails Half Marathon. This was by far my favorite race of the three. Not only did I not get injured, I never came close to injuring myself. They call it a trail run, but it was nothing like the other two I’ve raced. This was a crushed gravel trail with volunteers along the way to ensure you didn’t get lost, and mile markers all along the route. When I think back on the other two trail runs, they really aren’t even the same sort of race.

So, yes I enjoyed the race! I beat my target time by 3+ minutes. That is odd to me, especially considering that I hadn’t run any further than 10 miles in 25+ years. I could have done better with another month of training to get in more long distance runs, but isn’t that always the case? I’m not complaining though, I’m very pleased with the results. It also did me wonders as I start to mentally prepare for the next big race, my half Ironman in Galveston next month.

10 days ago I rode the equivalent of the bike leg, and last weekend I ran the run leg. Saturday I hope to swim the swim in a lake in Austin. With all of that under my belt I will approach this race armed with the knowledge that I can complete each individual leg of the race. All I need to do race day is stay calm, pace myself, and keep a positive frame of mind.

I have a new slogan for race day, but I’m not ready to reveal it yet. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment