Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cripes, not again

About 10 days ago I ran the Warrior Dash, purely for fun. It was a 3.5 mile course with 10 obstacles interspersed. I don’t have any pictures, but my wife and I ended up covered in mud and had a wonderful time! I bring it up not to blog about it but to point out at the start of the race I felt some popping in my knee. It was gone about the time I hit the first obstacle and I never gave it another thought.

I noticed the popping several days later, only it didn’t stop. After several hard and fast miles it was pretty painful. I iced it thoroughly, and tried to stay off it for a couple of days until my next run. Interestingly enough, riding my bike made it feel better not worse. I was pretty hopeful that Sunday all would be well, and it was for the first few, easy miles. Once I picked up the pace, the popping started up again, and after only a mile I stopped running. Rather than walk home a mile, I decided I would try to run the remaining 3 miles but at a slower pace. That did the trick for the most part. No more popping meant the pain didn’t get any worse.

I came home and iced my knee for several hours. Still, it was very sore for several days. I called my old friend Airrosti Monday morning to get an appointment. My first visit was today. Because of the days off and the icing I had done, it wasn’t real sore today. It was hard for me to identify the exact location of the pain - though I was able to somewhat reproduce the popping I’d felt.


I’ve had a treatment, and plan to head out for a short run in just a bit. Tomorrow I have a harder run. Either the knee will hold up or the pain will return enough so that I can properly identify the sensitive areas.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a quick recovery and back out on the road. In the meantime, I’m going to really get after the bike and swimming legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment