Thursday, April 29, 2010

Clubber Lane

Yesterday was my first workout after the weekend’s race. It was a nice easy indoor bike ride, just to spin out the legs. My racing bike is in the shop, leaving me to ride on my road bike, something I hadn’t done in months. I set up my bike in front of the TV, and found something to occupy my mind. This isn’t so much about the workout as what happened during the workout.

The movie I’d picked was Rocky III. I turned it on just in time to see Rocky get knocked out and Mick pass away. Now I’ve seen this movie many times. I remember watching it with my friends, and trying to do some of the workouts that Rocky did. I remember Rocky lost the first fight, got trained by Apollo, and then won the rematch. What I didn’t remember was the most important part of the movie, what Rocky was going through after the loss. I knew it as soon as I saw his eyes, and almost fell off my bike as the realization sunk in. I was feeling the same things: disappointment, doubt, despair, and fear.

I watched with rapt attention as Rocky struggled with his feelings, knowing he was losing this battle as well. It was finally his wife that snapped him out of his despair. I don’t remember exactly what she said to him (it certainly is worth a second viewing on my part to find out), but the gist was he had to get back the “Eye of the Tiger”, that driving force that allows you to continue when you are down and hurting.

I thought about that today while I was running. I haven’t had an epiphany to give me back the “Eye”, if I ever even had it, but I know what I need to do. I also have a face to put to the HIM: Mr. T as Clubber Lane.

Clubber, I want a rematch! My prediction: pain! And like Rocky I too will be victorious in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment