Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mind what you have learned, save you it can…

This is probably my last entry before the race. I’m feeling surprisingly calm, so today I wanted to bring out the big guns. Something I’ve been saving since I ran across it months ago. I’ve been using this when I really felt nervous and it has really helped. If you were to see me race morning, looking out across the water, this is what is going through my head. It isn’t anything original, but who would have thought a darn puppet would be the one to help me through these last few days?

I believe the year was about 1980, and the puppet was Yoda. Luke Skywalker was leaving to try and rescue his friends. Sound familiar? Well it isn’t so much the scene as Yoda’s parting comments to young Luke: “Mind what you have learned, save you it can.”

As I look forward to the biggest race of my life, I have taken a modified version of this to heart. If Yoda were here today I think his comment would be a bit different, but the meaning is still the same. You have done the training. Focus on what you have learned and undergone, and it can get you through whatever is to come.

Coach, I hate to compare you to Yoda (even if you are shorter than I), but the analogy is there for me to grab. I hope you don’t mind that I use this as my mantra for this race! When things get really tough and I’m tired and wanting to quit, I will think of Yoda: “Mind what you have learned, save you it can.”

Bless you, my readers, for putting up with my dribble for these past few weeks as I slowly lost my sanity. In just a few days I will have an entirely different perspective on racing which I will share with you. I hope you enjoyed my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment