Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Visualize this...

The day of my big test draws near, and once again I am starting to feel anxious. I’ve done everything I can to prepare, at least everything within my power. I’ve spent the past 8 months training harder than I’ve ever trained before. I’ve even took advantage of an injury to work on my mental training. So what’s the problem, why am I anxious, especially this far in advance?

The answer is quite basic and very simple: I don’t KNOW that I can finish this race. I came to that realization earlier this week, and I’m ok with it. I THINK I can finish, and for now that will have to be enough. Two weeks from now I will KNOW I can do it, now that is positive thinking! It is powerful, and I believe it is going to help.

Last night, as I lay down to sleep, I started thinking about the race. Instead of stressing about the things I didn’t know, I focused on what I did know. I saw myself standing on the shore and looking at the swim course. It looked long, and the water was probably cold. I put my face into the water, and just started swimming: three strokes and breathe. Every now and then I looked up to sight the buoy, and then kept swimming. I can swim this far, I know it, I’ve done it. And then I was done, the swim was over and I crawled out of the water! This is going to work, barring the unforeseen I will finish this race.

My plan for tonight is to visualize T1 and the bike. Hopefully I will fall asleep before I get to T2!

No comments:

Post a Comment