Thursday, July 8, 2010

Are you ready?

It seems that as I get close to a race I am repeatedly asked “Are you ready?”  It comes from family, friends, fellow triathletes, just about anyone who hears that I have a race.  I’m not sure why everyone asks, and really I don’t care.  What interests me is my response today compared to three months ago.

Three months ago I was getting ready for my first attempt at a half Ironman.  I remember my response as if it was yesterday:  “It doesn’t matter, the race is here.”  It was an honest, if not awe inspiring answer.  It was how I responded to everyone.  It fit how I felt at the time.

I was asked the usual question today, but responded completely differently.  Not with a yes or thumbs up, but “Absolutely!  I am SO ready!!”  It is again an honest assessment of how I feel, I am so ready!  I don’t wish I had another week or two for some extra training, and I’m not questioning my decision to sign up for this race.

Don’t get me wrong, there are a couple of workouts I could have done harder and I could have skipped that cheeseburger, but I don’t think any of that will have a real impact on the outcome of my race.  I am ready, so now it is just up to me to do what I set out for me to do.

My bike and other gear are all checked out.  My body is healthy and also checks out.  My mind:  well the jury is still out on that one, but I feel better mentally than I did 3 months ago and that is a good start.

One last thought about my mental state.  I remember three months ago I was totally stressed about the race.  It was almost all I thought about.  I think about this race as well, but only in the details as it is in another state and the logistics are more complicated.  I feel so much better prepared that I’m not worried about the race at all.  Yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment