Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Only two more workouts to go!

My next big race is only a few days away, in fact I only have two short workouts left before I leave for California.  Today I crossed off my last swim workout, a short 2000 meters, at least short to what I have been doing.  When I finished I felt myself thinking “Where’s the beef?”

Tomorrow I have a short spin on the bike and then Thursday a short run.  Neither of those are going to get my heart racing or generate the normal pools of sweat unless I undertake them outside in the heat of the day.

Just a few short weeks ago I was beat and so looking forward to this time to get in a little rest.  I would day-dream about taper and recover weeks, and also the end of the season.  Now that taper week is here I wish I could go back to where I was and do some harder workouts!  It is amazing to me how the body adapts to what we throw at it.

According to my calculations, my next half ironman is in just 5 days.  I’m still surprised at how anxious I’m not, especially considering how I felt last time around.  I don’t think about the race much, at least not like I used to.  I think about different things like my seat on the flight home and whether I will get upgraded to first class, what will I wear when the race is over, and most importantly what will I eat that afternoon and evening!  I do wonder about T1, and whether I will be able to pass my gear off to my wife or will have to risk it being transported by race volunteers.  Mostly I think about everything but the race.

The big difference has been the extra preparation time, and several solid brick workouts leading up to this point.  I have a few “keys to the race” that I’m going to focus on come race day.  If they workout and I finish the race I will share them with you.  If things fall apart I will keep them to myself.

I’ve also been working on a post race entry.  It might be cocky to be thinking about that, but my confidence is high!

No comments:

Post a Comment