Thursday, December 9, 2010

Getting ready for 2011

I’ve had several weeks off since the end of my 2010 season, time for me to rest, recover and rejuvenate.  During that time I ate whatever I wanted, drank when I wanted to, exercised little, visited Colorado and went on a cruise.  The result:  my joints feel better, I have no lingering aches and I gained 7-8 pounds.  I’m not sure which is worse, the added weight or that I REALLY enjoyed not having to exercise all the time.

Fortunately I don’t make my own schedule or I would put off training and enjoy some more down time, perhaps pushing that weight gain up to 10+ pounds.  Coach started me back Tuesday with an easy swim.  Two months ago I would have said it was easy, today it was very hard and I found myself fighting for air on a number of occasions.  Then we jumped yesterday into a field test, where I was to run 4-5 miles with mile 3 hard, and mile 4 harder.  I set some mental goals at the start and was able to exceed them, but what a price!  It was a very difficult run.  While the rest of the week is scheduled to be easy, it is easy compared to what I was doing at the end of last season.  I don’t think I’m going to be finding many workouts easy for some time.

I’m not complaining, just stating the facts.  I allowed myself to get out of shape and now I must do the work to get back to where I was.  Actually, I need to get into better shape this year because of the lofty goal I set.  The goal for year #1 was to get a national ranking, which I did.  The goal for last year was to improve my ranking and finish 3 half ironman distance races.  While I improved my ranking considerably, I only finished 2 of my HIM races.  This year the focus is on speed.  I want to qualify for the Age Group National Championships.  To do so I will need to finish in the top 10% of an Olympic distance race, which will require me to drop another 10 minutes off my PR for about a 2:35 time.

It won’t be easy to meet this year’s goals, a feat made more difficult by my loss of fitness to start the year.  I don’t care though.  This is something I really want, and I’m prepared to do what is needed to make it happen.  Last season there were too many workouts where I just wanted to get it done.  I suspect I will have those days again this year, and that is where I need to step it up and put forth the extra effort.  Only by pushing harder will I be able to meet my goal.

Follow along with me as I undertake  this next crazy challenge, and then cheer for me in August when I race in VT with the rest of the best!

1 comment:

  1. Great goal and I am counting on your making it. That being the case, we will be there to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete