Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Smoking those runs!

I don’t want to pat myself on the back, but to say my runs are really going well would be an understatement.  I continue to push myself to the upper limits of what coach requests, and am finding them somewhat easy!  Yet the biggest challenge is still mental.

I’ve left for my last several hard runs thinking to myself “this is my plan, but can I actually do it?”  I’m not sure why I’m questioning myself before I even start, considering how well I’m running.  Perhaps it is because when I think about how fast I plan to run, it is really fast!

Sunday I went for a run out in Magnolia, where I train on my bike because of the hills.  It was cold, and I started off very slowly.  I didn’t think I had a prayer of running my plan, but my legs warmed up nicely and after the first mile I’d climbed the first hill and was holding my plan.  Not only were the hills a non-factor (other than my inexperience showing in my inability to hold a steady pace), but I exceeded my pre-run plan and still had more left.

I was excited about that run, until I got up this morning and my legs were a bit sluggish.  Knowing I had another hard run and bike workout scheduled for today I was a bit concerned.  Last night I’d made a plan, a fairly aggressive one, more aggressive than what I think coach scheduled.  When I woke up I once again didn’t think I had a chance of holding pace.  I even adjusted the plan downward a bit to be safe.

The schedule called for 2x3 miles, with descending pace every 1/2 mile.  Once I got on the treadmill everything changed.  I used the first 1/2 mile to continue warming up as it was cold outside, and then jumped up the pace to catch up with my original plan.  I felt great the first 3 miles and had no problem with the faster paces.  After a quick bathroom break and chat with a fellow triathlete about swimming, I fired up the treadmill again.  This 3 miles was faster than the first and I had no problem.  In fact, I had to talk myself out of really dropping the pace for the last 1/2 mile.

I am so excited about my running I can hardly stand it.  This is definitely the way to get ready for the triathlon season – with a strong base of running.  Assuming this continues and I can avoid injuries, I am going to smoke some races!

Here is my bold prediction:  I will podium my next race (a 5K), and again my first triathlon.  Hold on racing community, I am on fire!!

No comments:

Post a Comment