Monday, February 7, 2011

He won my medal!

Standing in the crowd of people after my race Saturday, waiting to see the results, I overheard someone say “If I’d been 15 seconds faster I would have won a medal”.  I’ve had similar thoughts many times over the past two years.  That’s why we race:  to see who is faster today, under these conditions.  Unfortunately for him Saturday wasn’t his day.

That said, it was a pretty good day for me.  I had a target time, and beat it by 1 second.  Unfortunately for me, someone else had a better day.  At first glance I thought he beat me by 20 seconds.  I remembered seeing someone about that far in front of me that could have been my age, and knowing that I couldn’t catch him.  There really wasn’t anything I could have done to run faster.

At second glance I realized my mistake.  He hadn’t beaten me by 20 seconds, he’d beaten me by 1:20.  That actually made it much easier to swallow.  Even if I’d had a much better day I couldn’t have run 80 seconds faster.

Saturday my best was a respectable 2nd place, and my first medal ever!  I would have been much more excited about a 1st place, instead I will focus on my time and be pleased with that.  I’m pleased because I didn’t get to approach this as a real race.  If I had, I wouldn’t have run almost 30 miles in the days leading up to the race!

It also didn’t help that it was really cold outside, 19 when I got out of my car!  I tried to warm up like coach wanted, but my legs felt like mush and even 8:30 pace got me short of breath.  Once the race started, I couldn’t hold a 7 minute/mile, and that was supposed to be my minimum pace.  I fought this for the first mile, sucking wind and irritated that my pace was much slower than I’d planned.  It was then that I decided to forget my watch and just run as fast as I could.

The course was fairly technical, with a lot of u-turns and sharp turns that made it difficult to hold pace.  There were also several patches of ice which made me nervous at every turn.  I stole a glance at my watch once in the last couple of miles, pleased that my pace was under 7:00.  I only looked once though.  I think I was running too fast for me to feel comfortable looking at my watch!

I’d run about as fast as I could, and then held on for the finish.  I’m pleased with how it ended up.  I’m not a big fan of the 5K, it is too short and too fast for my skills, but it was a good day.

Yes, someone beat me, but he didn’t win my medal, he won his own!

No comments:

Post a Comment