Monday, March 14, 2011

Has it really been two weeks already?

No, it’s really been three!  It seems like two weeks because I was sick the week in the middle and that entire week is a blur.  When I first got sick I knew I would miss a day of training.  That became a week, and by the end of the week I was afraid it would stretch into a second week and jeopardize my upcoming race.  Then it passed as suddenly as it came on.  I took a couple of easy training days and a day of rest before hitting it hard again last week.

After being sick like I was for a week, I was a little nervous about coming back as hard as was scheduled.  I knew I’d had a decent run though on Sunday and hoped it would be fine.  Maybe my body needed that time off because I came back with a fury!  I did a bike field test and was 20 watts stronger than just a few months ago.  I feel like I could have been stronger if I’d only set up a fan in the garage to cool me off.

I had a couple of good runs, including a 5 mile brick at 7:40 pace, which I did without really pushing.  That is wonderful news for me because that is faster than my planned 10K pace come race day.  It gives me confidence that I can hit my target time!

I also had a couple of hard swims, including a 1500M timed swim.  I like the distance because it allows me to get into a groove and work on pushing myself.  I don’t like having to count the laps.  It would be so much nicer if I could just go and have someone tap me on the shoulder when I’m done!

I hit the weekend super high and confident, and the first half of my Saturday bike ride was awesome.  I should have realized that when you are going 20+ mph and there isn’t any wind noise in your ears, there is quite a tail wind blowing.  I didn’t figure that out until I turned around and almost came to a standstill.  What took me 1:20 going ended up taking me 1:55 coming back.  It was a long, hard and demoralizing ride.  It was supposed to be a brick, but I was already over my total scheduled time, the wind was really blowing, my legs were shot, I was upset and talked myself out of it.

I woke up Sunday to dead legs.  I didn’t think I had the energy to run for 90 minutes.  After goofing off for a while I finally suited up and headed on out.  I couldn’t believe how badly my legs felt when I started.  The finish line 10 miles away seemed forever.  I settled into a pace and just ran.  I funny thing happened on the run.  The plan was to run a 5 mile loop twice.  At 4.5 miles into the first loop it seemed like it was never going to end.  Half a mile later, as I started the second loop, I felt almost done!  It didn’t matter that I still had 5 miles to go, or how far I had run already.  Something about being on that last lap made it easy.  I even had to force myself to slow down as the pace kept creeping up.  As it was my second lap was several minutes faster than the first.

All in all a good week of training.  I’m very tired today, but feel like my overall strength and conditioning is very strong.  I think my next race, the first one of the season could be an awesome race for me, my fastest Olympic distance race yet.  I only need to focus on the good days and forget the bad ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment