Monday, March 21, 2011

Race season is here!

It is Monday and my first race of the season is in just 5 days.  If I’m not careful I could easily get myself all wound up, overly excited and ruin my race before it even starts.  While I am excited, ruining the race isn’t in my plan.  I’ve worked too hard!

I had another fantastic training week this past week.  Unlike last week I was able to finish the race as strong as I started it.  Funny thing happened on the bike ride Saturday though.  I knew there was some wind, probably a tail wind, but it wasn’t as strong as last week, or so I thought until I made a left turn and the cross wind hit.  I had on my race wheels and the wind was really tossing me around.  Not wanting to repeat my disaster of last weekend I turned around 5 minutes earlier than previously.  Last weekend I rode 15 minutes longer than I was scheduled for this weekend.  So if I turn around 5 minutes early, that knocks 10 minutes off the ride total.  Plus I figured I would be a little faster due to less headwind, which would put me finishing right on time.

The only problem was that this week I didn’t fall apart in the wind.  I hunkered down, did what I could, and finished a total of 30 minutes faster instead of 15.  I packed up my bike, threw on my running shoes, and went for a short run.  I couldn’t believe how dead my legs felt and started having flash backs to what race day is really like!  I told myself that the pace didn’t matter, and I can only do what I can do.  I try to evaluate myself at the end of a run to see if I could have gone faster or further.  I might have been able to run a little faster, though my heart was pounding pretty hard, but I know I could have gone further.  I’m not sure about 4 miles further, but I’m also not sure I couldn’t have.  Finishing the run I packed up and headed home, not even looking at my watch.  Needless to say I was shocked when I downloaded my watch onto my computer and saw what happened.  I ran 2.5 miles at 8:10 pace, after a 2:45 bike ride.  This is huge for me because my legs felt so heavy, and I felt like I was going so slowly, only to find out I wasn’t far from what I hope for a race pace.

Sunday was a long, slow and boring run.  I wasn’t sure I could do it with my legs as shot as they were.  I just started running, and didn’t stop until I was done.  It wasn’t fast (it wasn’t supposed to be), but I did what coach asked.

Saturday I toe the line for my first race of the season.  I’ve done just about everything coach asked of me.  Now it is just a matter of executing the plan.  I can’t control who else signs up for the race, or how fast they run, only how well I do myself.

I’ll try to write again before the race on how I’m feeling to see how that compares to the results.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment