Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ready to race, again

Sorry for missing my scheduled post yesterday, somehow work got in the way of my social and racing life!  I’m back on track today, and just in time.

My second race of the season, a sprint, is this weekend.  It is one of only two sprints on the radar this year, and only my second sprint since my first season.  Because I haven’t done a lot of them I don’t know what to expect.  I vaguely remember the one I did last year.  I went out a little harder than normal on the bike, and struggled with the run.  In the end it wasn’t one of my better performances.  According to USAT, that sprint ranked only ahead of my half Ironman races.

This year I hope to improve that performance.  I don’t mean that in the sense that I hope to get better every year, or that because of my improved fitness I should do better.  I’ve actually thought about this race.  I’ve considered the distances, how hard I could and should be able to perform, added them up, and voila, it is a better time.

Comparing my projected time to previous years tells me that I should do well.  A win is not out of the question, and certainly a podium finish is possible.  That said, anything can happen race day, that’s why we race.  I could get a flat, take a spill on the bike, suffer cramps on the run, or a number of things I haven’t even considered.

Here is my plan for this race, summed up into a few short notes:

  • Get to the starting line healthy
  • Start off the swim hard
  • Keep my foot on the gas for the bike
  • Push the run and hang on until the end

Let’s see how this plan and race work out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment