Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whew, one tough build week

Sorry I’m a little late with this week’s update.  My best friend from High School was in town Monday and we spent the day catching up, and yesterday just got away from me.  I’m trying to get this done before today gets crazy.

Last week as a pretty tough build week as I get ready for my first big race of the year:  New Orleans 5150.  Coach and I built my schedule around this race and the championships, so I hope to be in top form.  To get there means lots of work these last few weeks.

The good news about last week is that I finished it strongly.  Friday through Sunday are usually my longest workouts of the week, and I managed the pull them off.  I was a bit worried about the run on Sunday as I started off that morning with very tired legs.  The beginning of the week wasn’t so good.

Monday I found myself pretty tired and worn out from the cumulative effect several weeks of racing and traveling, with a colonoscopy thrown in for good measure.  For the record, I don’t think two days off to deal with a colonoscopy should count as a day of rest.  Anyway, I ended up skipping my Monday morning swim to try and get some energy back.

Tuesday I had on tap a really tough bike ride in the morning and a strong run in the afternoon.  I misread the instructions for the bike, and started the first of my five my intervals to hard.  By the 3rd I had peaked and couldn’t hold on for the last two.  It’s funny how three minutes can be a very long time when you are really hurting!  When it came to the threshold section of my workout I simply had nothing left.  For the first time in a long time I failed to finish the scheduled workout.

There was a day when that would have really messed with my head and gotten me down.  I told myself that I had a bad day, left it at that and moved on.  Coach told me that I’d started too hot and was too aggressive in my plan.  Maybe for that day, but I still think I could do what I tried to do.

The rest of the week went as planned, even the run later that day.  It was an exhausting week though and I’m glad to be done with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment