Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I’m a complete runner now

I’ve spent many years running, and I feel like I’ve heard and seen it all.  I’ve had some wonderful runs where everything was perfect, and I was able to get into the zone or “runner’s high”.  It’s all the other things that complete us as runners.

I think I’ve encountered most of those other things:  sprained ankle, shin splints, stress fracture, dehydration, and sunburn.  You name it, I’ve done it.  Or so I thought.

Although I’ve been chased by a number of dogs in my day, it wasn’t until last week that one actually caught me and I suffered my first dog bite.  It wasn’t a bad bite as dog bites go, and the owner was able to fairly quickly regain control of her dog.

I think the best indicator of the severity of the bite was my eagerness to exchange phone numbers so I could get back on about my way and finish my run.  One thing the run did for me was distract me from everything else going on and before long I was back home.

For personal reasons I decided against reporting the bite.  I did make  a quick trip to the doctor for a tetanus shot and round of antibiotics.  The good news is that this has in no way influenced my running, although I am more wary when I come upon dogs.

I think that for now I’m a complete runner, until the next event I never imagined!  Have fun and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment