Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Payback time

It’s been about three years since I started this new journey.  One of the early influences on my training was Sam, the owner of our local gym.  Not only does he have a nice facility that is very conveniently located, but he is a super nice guy.  Until he puts on his trainer hat.

I’ve been to too many training sessions with Sam, that left me exhausted, sucking air and wondering how I’d let myself get so out of shape.  I think he does that with everyone, even the ones that are super fit.  That’s just the way he is and how he wants us to dig deep to improve ourselves.

Over these past few years I’ve done more than a few races, and I was usually eager to tell Sam about my results.  Sam, being very confident with his capabilities, would often tell me I did good, and that he probably could have done better.  He wasn’t rude or mean, he is just very confident about what he thinks he can do.

I remember long ago being out running when our paths crossed.  We ran together for a while, with him pushing the pace to the point where I was unable to finish my planned run.  Sam of course kept on running.

This past Sunday I was running along, enjoying a more leisurely pace in light of my upcoming race.  Sam and I crossed paths, and he quickly turned around to run with me.  Despite our casual conversation, I could tell that he had picked up the pace from what I was running.  I hadn’t planned on running that fast, and didn’t really need or want to, but I figured what the heck and kept up.

The difference this time was that the faster pace wasn’t a problem.  He commented that he was trying to get into shape for the American Ninja Warrior game show, so I offered to help him push the pace.  He said he needed to wait until we were about a mile from the finish.  I ignored him and started to gradually pick it up anyway.

With a mile to go we were hitting about 7:30 minute mile pace, still no problem for me.  At a half mile out he started to slow down.  I challenged him to not fade on me and tried unsuccessfully to pick up the pace.  He stayed with me until the end, though half a step behind.

When we hit the end of the loop he immediately stopped and bent over at the waist.  This time it was me that kept on running!  I headed out on my second of four loops with a smile in my face, knowing that not only had I given Sam a little payback for his previous torture sessions, but also that there is no doubt in either of our minds who the better runner is.

p.s.  I could take him on the bike and swim legs too!

No comments:

Post a Comment