Monday, July 30, 2012

Roller coaster ride

This has been a crazy injury/recover!  It seems as though one day I’ve got one opinion and am headed in one direction, then just days later everything changes and I’m headed in another.

In my last post (and I just re-read it to be sure I remembered correctly) I felt certain that that the surgeon was going to tell me I needed surgery.  I went armed with lots of questions:  what and when would he do it, what was the recovery like, etc..  We talked briefly, he examined my ankle, and then told me that surgery wasn’t required.  He put me back into the removable cast/boot and told me to come back in a month.  I wasn’t at all prepared for that response and hadn’t thought about any questions.

I did push back, indicating that I had athletic plans for the future and needed a full recovery.  He told me I was getting the same answer that Mario Williams (a professional football player in case you didn’t know) would get.  Still in shock I only thought of one other question:  when could I run again.  Red flag:  he didn’t know!

He said he was going to speak to Dr. Sanders, whom I knew would have the presence of mind to ask the questions I didn’t.  The big ones being how can two pieces of the ligament that aren’t touching going to reach out and reconnect?  If that do manage that, how tight will the ligament be?

I’ve done some research this weekend on my injury, something I should have done before my last appointment.  There were two themes:  Avoid surgery if possible, and people who did months of rehab only to end up having surgery later anyway.

Today is my first day back at rehab.  I feel a bit sorry for Dr. Sanders.  He gets as one of his last patients of the day someone with a lot of questions, and a lot of frustration with the answers he got from the surgeon!  Hopefully he has some answers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment