Monday, June 7, 2010

My Dad is “Old and Fat”

It’s been a number of years since I overheard my son whisper that to his friend.  Looking back I don’t know that I would agree with him, but his words stung none the less.  They stung enough that I remember them to this day.

I took pause to think about his words several times this past week, the first time as I was shopping for some new shorts.  It seems that with all of my race training my waist has shrunk a bit.  I was pretty excited to pick up the size I wore 10 years ago.  On a whim I picked up the next smaller size and carried them both to the dressing room.

I tried the bigger size first, it’s best to get the bad news over with early.  They fit, and with some room to spare!  I eyed the smaller pair, and with a bit of trepidation tried them on for size.  They not only fit, but they fit well.  I’ve lost over 2 inches in my waist in the last year!  And the best part of all, I now wear the same size pants as my 17 year old son!

This morning I jumped on the scale.  We recently bought one of those new fangled scales that measures all kinds of things besides your weight.  My biometric age came in at 12!

These days my son doesn’t tell his friends his Dad is “Old and Fat”, at least not where I can hear him.  What he does do is send me a message before a race wishing me luck, and asks me afterwards how it went.  He has also asked me several times about the various distances of a half Ironman, presumably to tell his friends what his Dad is up to.  Personally, I like what I see!

Capital of Texas Triathlon 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment