Monday, June 28, 2010

Swimming, part 2

The swim training for a triathlon is BORING!  When I run or ride my bike I can look around at the scenery (rarely), get a drink or food, stretch, and even daydream.  When I swim I get none of that.  I stare at the black line, turn, and repeat, many many times over.  The big difference between swimming and the other two events is that I have to count to keep track of my workout.  If I daydream I forget where I am, and then get frustrated because I feel like I’m cheating my workout.

So I count.  I count laps within my intervals, and the intervals.  “Is this the second lap on my third interval or my third lap on my second interval.

In addition to counting, I must focus on the actual swim itself.  How fast am I supposed to be swimming?  Is this a drill lap, speed, or focus on distance?

Finally I have to think about breathing.  You might think this is a silly requirement, but I’m not comfortable enough that if I were to stop thinking about breathing I might miss my breath stroke.  Perhaps some work on breathing other than every three strokes would be helpful.

With my workouts now lasting over an hour, during which time I am constantly counting, I get absolutely bored.  Every now and then I think briefly about how sore or tired my shoulders are, but those thoughts are very brief (I don’t want to lose count).

I wish I lived near a lake where I could train some in the open water.  At least then I would have time to think about whatever I wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment