Thursday, June 17, 2010

Running scared

First let me clearly state that I am not afraid of running.  I enjoy running.  Well, maybe not long runs in the brutal heat, but I do enjoy running in general.  It flushes my system, and allows me to think clearly.  It’s amazing how many problems I’ve solved on a run.  Mostly though, it just feels good.

No, what I refer to in today’s entry is a general fear of the half ironman.  In the wake of my failed attempt at that distance in Galveston I have trained even harder.  I’ve been healthy which really helps.  I’m also already ramped up in my distances.  Before Galveston I just barely got to this level a week or two before the race.

Then what exactly is the problem?  The problem is that running off of long bike rides really hasn’t gotten any easier.  To be honest I should say that I’m riding much harder than 2 months ago.  Even still, I expect myself to be able to do my training bricks without this much pain.  A 65 mile brick shouldn’t leave me feeling so tired.

I just re-read those last couple of lines.  My son would tell me I’m being ridiculous, “Did you read what you just wrote?”  Maybe those aren’t realistic expectations.  I should feel tired after a hard workout, otherwise I didn’t work hard enough.

What has me scared is how tired I am, and how much further I will have to go on race day.  If I am that tired after only a couple of miles, how can I expect to run 13.1?  Heck, thinking back to my last race, I was very tired on that run and it was an Olympic distance, half of what I have coming next month.

In conjunction with Coach Kelly and Ironman Betsy, I’ve formulated a plan.  They have repeatedly assured me that I am physically fit enough for this race.  They also say that the conditions will be the same for everyone, though I’m not sure how that helps me.

My plan is simple. 

  1. Do the training miles.  I’ve got to do whatever coach has scheduled for me; rain or shine, hot or cold.  It doesn’t matter so much how fast I am at the end as long as I finish.
  2. Train in the heat.  I’ve been trying to get my harder workouts done earlier in the mornings to miss the worst heat of the day, but no more.  When I race in California, I will probably be starting the run between 11 and 12.
  3. Drink more water on the run to get used to the sloshing feeling.
  4. Experiment with some sort of salt tablets.  As much as I sweat, I’ve got to get some salt back in me.
  5. Have water available to pour over my head on the training runs.

Finally, I’ve got to remember that what I’m trying to do isn’t easy.  That’s why they call the finishers Ironmen!

No comments:

Post a Comment