Sunday, October 24, 2010

Much needed time off

Today ends my mini break from training, which included a trip to Colorado to visit my oldest and dearest friend, Faisal. The trip started out well enough, the weather was clear and beautiful. As is normal for this part of the world, all you have to do is wait a few minutes and that could change.

We went to sleep the first night under clear skies and woke to an overcast and dreary day with a fresh sprinkling of snow to celebrate my arrival. We drove down from the mountains for some fresh coffee and food in Nederland. The plan was to goof around for a few hours to let the weather clear and then head back to his place to work on his new deck.

Several hours later we headed back up to a sprinkling of snow. The higher we got the harder it was snowing, and the deeper the snow on the ground. As we made the turn off of Apex road the snow was probably 4-6 inches deep, and there were no tire tracks on the road (and anyone who has been there knows I use that term loosely).

After a long and stressful drive we finally made it to his land, looked around for a few minutes, took a couple of pictures, and headed back down before we were stuck. In hindsight the drive up was a picnic, that drive down was scary with a LOT of slipping and sliding. I've never been so glad to get on a real road before!

We spent the next day at a horse vaulting show, and then last night at a wine tasting at the local Elks lodge. I've never done anything like that before and it certainly was interesting. That said, I can cross it off my list as neither is really something I need to do again.

We woke up this morning to clearer skies and some pretty cold weather. It's time for this southern boy to head back home for some good old fashioned heat and humidity. Two more hours then it is back to civilization via then Denver airport.

Tomorrow we get back to the grind of training, as I gear up for a half marathon! I think coach is going to be excited to see I still want to race more this season.

ps. Terra, an old friend of Faisal's moved to Reno. She is going to find us a half marathon for us to race in a couple of months. She will kill me, but it will be fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment