Tuesday, October 12, 2010

One last swim

It's Tuesday, and my last swim before the Longhorn half Ironman. As much as I have dreaded going to swim in that over chlorinated pool at 24 hour fitness, it was good to get in to work out the kinks and aches.

Did I mention that the pool is super chlorinated?  It is so bad that I have to rinse off poolside before heading home.  Then I have to take another shower, use conditioner (something I never do), and scrub my entire body with a loofah.  If I skip any of those steps I end up spending the entire night scratching myself raw.

Not long ago I posted that I'd never finished a swim as out of breath as my niece after her 1500m. I realized today that while that was correct, it wasn't accurate. I never finish a swim that gassed because I always get a couple hundred meters to cool down at the end. However, there are many times in a workout that I am hugging the edge of the pool gasping for breath. Although I am officially in taper week, today was no exception. I suspect the swimmer in the adjacent lanes wondered if I was going to survive!

So the day and its workout are done, and then there were two...

No comments:

Post a Comment