Friday, October 15, 2010

Packed up and ready to go

My gear, bike, and bags are all packed up, loaded in the car, and I’m ready to go!  The plan is to leave in a couple of hours which means I get to spend the next two hours pacing and looking for something to do.  Despite the look I gave my wife when she asked for computer help, it was nice having something to do!

So with about 45 hours left to go before the race start perhaps it’s time for an assessment of where I am.  Let’s see:

  • Three weeks ago I had arguably the best 10K race of my life.  I had a better time 25 years ago, but I seem to recall the course was flatter and the conditions were much better.
  • Two weeks ago I had a very strong brick workout followed the next day by an equally strong run.  This past weekend also felt very strong but it was part of my taper week so everything was shorter.
  • This week, being taper week, hasn’t resulted in any memorable workouts.  While my body certainly needed the break before the race I sure would have liked to go into the race on the high I felt two weeks ago.
  • I’ve been suffering from a bit of allergy issues for the past few days.  This morning, as I was packing up the last few items, I realized that I had not been taking my allergy medicine for a couple of days.  I made sure that it was added to my batch, and only just remembered that I didn’t take one today.  With that now taken care of I’m hoping it clears up the problem.  It usually clears up by itself after a few hours, but a 45 minute swim with drainage from both my nose and down my throat isn’t particularly pleasant.  Heck, a 45 minute swim isn’t particularly pleasant in itself!
  • There are a couple of things I wish I could change about the race:  I wish it was going to be wetsuit legal, and I wish the run didn’t have a hill called Quadzilla.  There is something I’m starting to learn after 15 months and 9 races:  you can’t control what you can’t control, so don’t stress over it.  So far I haven’t, and I don’t plan on starting today!
  • Right now I’m feeling very rested.  Baring any unforeseen problems, this will be a very good race for me!

See you on the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment